Any request for *.domain.name lands you at a parked domain for DD24(Ubuntu Machine) or SedoParking(IPhone).
I only realized this after I thought my computer somehow got compromised and DNS poisoning/hijacking/spoofing was happening somewhere. I used dig and wireshark to query thiswillnotwork12345865ihope.com and see the root dns server fails and then Ubuntu tries thiswillnotwork12345865ihope.com.domain.name which resolves.
I then realized my adsl router default domain name for dhcp is domain.name. After I changed it to something arbitrary my sanity returned.
But I do feel a lot of anger towards DD24 and Sedo because Joe Soap will have a harder time to figure this out. I also feel the router manufacturer is partly to blame and I'm going to email them and if they do not reply I will name and shame them.
Google was also not very helpful while I was diagnosing this problem so hopefully this post will help other Googlers in the future.
TL;DR I thought my computer was cracked, only to realize default settings on my router was the problem.